Trent University, Fall 2017
Ancient and classical mathematics
Exam Period Office Hours: 09:00-12:00 on 8, 11, 13, and 15 December.
Mostly in PDF format:
Stuff from previous years:
- MATH 3810H, Winter 2016
- MATH 3810H, Fall 2013
- MATH 3810H, Fall 2011
- MATH 3810H, Fall 2009
- MATH 381H, Fall 2007
This is not an exhaustive list!
- The Heritage of Thales, W.S. Anglin & J. Lambeck
Springer Verlag, New York, 1995, ISBN 0-387-94544-X.
- A History of Mathematics (2nd edition), by C.B. Boyer and revised by U.C. Merzbach,
John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1991, ISBN 0-471-54397-7.
- A History of Mathematical Notations, by Florian Cajori,
Dover Publications, New York, 1993, ISBN 0-486-67766-4.
(Originally published in two volumes by Open Court Publishing, Chicago, in 1928 and 1929.)
- Classics of Mathematics, edited by Ronald Calinger,
Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1995, ISBN 0-02-318342-X.
- The History of Mathematics, by Roger Cooke,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1997, ISBN 0-471-18082-3.
- An Introduction to the History of Mathematics (3rd edition), by Howard Eves,
Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1969.
- Mathematics in the Time of the Pharaohs, by Richard J.~Gillings,
Dover Publications, New York, 1982, ISBN 0-486-24315-X.
- Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times Vol. I, by Morris Kline,
Oxford University Press, New York, 1972.
- Mathematics in Western Culture, by Morris Kline,
Oxford University Press, New York, 1953.
- A History of Mathematics, by Jeff Suzuki,
Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 2002, ISBN 0-13-019074-8.
- Historia Mathematica, a journal on the history of mathematics.
Published by Elsevier. Available at Bata Library, in print and/or electronic form, depending on the issue.
Various general mathematics journals occasionally publish articles about the history of mathematics. Search!
A few online resources
- Ancient language translators (Automated translation from English to Egyptian, Sumerian, and Assyrian/Babylonian).
- The Antikythera Mechanism Research Project.
- Euclid's Elements, with interactive diagrams by D.E. Joyce.
- Euclid's Elements in Greek, with an English translation by Richard Fitzpatrick.
- Google Book Search has the full text of a lot of older works available for reading online and/or for download.
- History of mathematics, main article at Wikipedia.
- History/Biography at The Math Forum
- History of Mathematics at Math Archives (University of Tennessee - Knoxville)
- History of Mathematics at Mathematics Resources on the Internet by Bruno Kevius
- History of mathematics article at Wikipedia
- The History of Mathematics, maintained by David R. Wilkins
- Images of ancient and medieval works on mathematics from Rome Reborn: The Vatican Library & Renaissance Culture, a Library of Congress exhibition.
- Indian Mathematics: Redressing the balance, by Ian G. Pearce.
- MacTutor history of mathematics archives
- A Modern Almagest: An updated version of Ptolemy's model of the solar system, by Richard Fitzpatrick.
- Project Gutenberg has the full text of a lot of older works available for download.
- Web resources on the history of mathematics, maintained by The British Society for the History of Mathematics.
- Wilbour Hall, an archive of "public domain materials that are essential for the study of ancient and early modern mathematics and mathematical astronomy," maintained by Joseph Leichter.
Department of Mathematics
Maintained by Stefan Bilaniuk. Last updated 2017.12.06.